NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE HAD A FREE ‘MOVE AHEAD‘ ASSESSMENT PRIOR TO TAKING PART IN THIS CLASS FOR THE FIRST TIME.
Nordic Walking is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit. Whatever age, fitness level or goal, Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable!
Meet at Gym at 10.30am to get the minibus or, 11.00am at the designated location.
Meet at Gym at 2.30pm to get the minibus or, 3.00pm at the designated location.
Locations will change so please check with the office on 01903 779880, before departing.
About Nordic Walking
What is it?
Nordic Walking is an improvement of ordinary walking — it makes something we do every day of our lives much more effective!
The use of poles when Nordic Walling adds two major benefits:
- The upper body muscles are used as well as the legs;
- The poles help to propel the walker along so that he/she works harder than usual while the support given by the poles makes the exercise feel easier!
Nordic Walking is a specific fitness technique and to get the most of the activity must be learnt correctly It should not to be confused with trekking, hill walking or trail running.
The technique means that poles are placed in a specific way that increases the use of the upper body. It can be done by anybody, anywhere and does not require expensive equipment or clothing.
Nordic Walking is the fastest growing fitness activity in the world and is used by individuals, personal trainers, health clubs, physiotherapists, doctors and health promoters because it is highly effective, affordable and most importantly it’s FUN!
Beneficial for all
Nordic Walking is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit. Whatever age, fitness level or goal, – Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable.
- Tones the upper and lower body at the same time;
- Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles;
- Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking;
- Reduces the pressure on knees and joints;
- Great for the Heart and Lungs;
- Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems;
- Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster than normal without feeling the effort;
- It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sportspeople who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
- Can be done anywhere – no need for hills, country paths or even snow!
- It appeals to all ages and fitness levels.
- No need to wear special exercise clothing.
- It’s very sociable; participants can chat as they go!
- It is easy to learn and to keep up.
- It combines exercise with nature which has been proven to boost mood.